Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Wednesday 13 March 2013

100 Days


Oh dear, oh dear. Sprinting on the hoods and in the saddle (far left in blue). Bad form. Maybe that's why I get pipped for 5th place.

Your heart races, you cant sleep, your palms are sweaty, you have butterflies in your stomach, your breathing intensifies and your eyes widen…
Are you nervous or excited? Are they the same emotion, just viewed through different prisms? Yet everyone loves to be excited, but perhaps not so much to be nervous, even if they cause the same physical reactions. Perhaps the difference between nerves and excitement is confidence. The more confident you are of success, perhaps the more excited you can become.
What were you doing on the second of December? It’s probably long enough ago that you don’t remember exactly, but close enough to have a vague recollection. For the record it was a Sunday, the first Sunday of the month, just after payday. Maybe you were nursing a hangover. Maybe you were out Christmas shopping. I had the Glasgow Nightingale CC Dinner. It was a freezing night, and a brutally cold and icy day. So, I sat inside and did a double session on the turbo trainer. Three hours on the hamster wheel. There was nothing memorable about the session, but I know I would have hated it.
The relevance? Well, the 2nd of December was 100 days ago, and its 100 days until I start the Tour. The second of December doesn’t seem that long ago and that is looking back through the coldest, wettest weather and the darkest days of the year. Winter cycling is no fun. By the end of this month it will be light enough to get out during the evenings. The Wednesday night habble round the glen will start. Soon we’ll be cycling in shorts, t-shirts and sunglasses. Pedalling with the sun on our backs (in Glagsow?!). Cycling will become fun again and the time will race by. 100 sleeps. It’s not long. Things are starting to get very real, and very exciting.

After the fun of the two up Time Trial last month the racing season also started in earnest this week, with a Fourth Cat race down in Dumfries. It’s a long way to go for a race, however the rest of the country was treated to heavy snow showers, which had the races closer to home cancelled, so the journey was worthwhile. Especially since I managed to get a 6th place finish and win my first points of the season. However, in perhaps the most controversial refereeing decision since Les Mottram inexplicably chopped off Paddy Connolly’s rasping volley against the Harry Rags back in early nineties (yup, the defender handed the ball to the keeper), I was awarded 7th place. I await the outcome of the stewards enquiry with interest…
Last week also saw me get back on the track at the Wednesday night track league. I managed 1 third place and 3 second places in the four races.  I am definitely making progress.
I am back down in Dumfries this weekend for another race. If I can manage another top 10 finish then I’ll win some more points and take further steps towards getting my category 3 race license, which was one of my big goals for the year. I need to get 10 points. A top three finish will see me get my promotion. However, as sporting pundits are apt to say; that will be a ‘big ask’.
I am pleased where I am with my fitness and form and there is still time to get stronger before I head to France. As my fitness grows, so does my confidence, and thus the nervousness fades and gives way to excitement. Things are becoming more real, I can almost see the start line now. I am still nervous about the road ahead, after all it is still a massive challenge, but I am also beginning to get excited.
100 sleeps.
From Dumfries,
N

If you would like to sponsor me then you can do so here http://www.bmycharity.com/nkemp

No comments:

Post a Comment