Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Sunday 31 March 2013

The Tour of Narnia


Spring racing in scotland. Gales, snow and ice. I want to emigrate.



‘Its always winter in Narnia – always winter but never Christmas’
The Lion the Witch and Wardrobe – CS Lewis

‘This is the way the world ends, Not with a bang, but with a whimper’
The Hollowmen, TS Eliot

During a long day on the bike, and there have been few, your mind tends to wander a bit. ‘What do you think about when you are cycling for so long?’ Is not an uncommon question. If I am honest I find it very difficult to have any productive thoughts when I am cycling. I come back no wiser after a bike ride than before. There are seldom any insights to be had. When I get fatigued I find even the simplest of arithmetic difficult – like how long it will take me to cycle the last few miles home. Any thoughts deeper than what I’m going to have for dinner are pretty useless.  Today I found myself trying to figure out what chocolate eggs have to do with Easter. The only thing I could come up with was eggs were a symbol of the stone that Jesus rolled back from his cave – hence why you roll eggs down a hill.  Which is, of course, total nonsense. Then I realised I was so cold that I had better pedal harder to warm up.
I get suckered every year. Every. Single. Year. We have a beautiful couple of days in late February or early March and I proclaim to all who are willing to listen that winter is over. In a flurry of excitement I wake the hibernating summer bike from its slumber and get it dusted down, apply new handlebar tape, give it a polish and a smear of oil and make sure the tyres are pumped up, tight as a drum.  I rummage in the depths of my cupboard and pull out the short sleeved cycling tops that have not seen daylight since September. No sooner have I prepped the steed, and organised my summer wardrobe than winter swoops back in and bullies the infant Spring into submission. Every year it happens, and every year I fall for it. When will I learn?
This March has been particularly cruel. When will winter piss off? I have had more than enough already. Whatever point winter is making, it has made it loud and clear, beat it and let the spring have a say. It seems like we have had snow every day this month. Every race I have entered in March has either fallen to the weather, has been re-routed or has been subject to a late ‘pitch inspection’. Conditions have been tough, to say the least.
Cycling in the snow is not easy. Aside from the fact that it is cold and all exposed skin gets a stinging sandblast. Vision is difficult too, if you wear glasses then the snow sticks to them and you can’t see properly. If you remove your ‘bins’ you get snow in your eyes, which is uncomfortable, and you cant see properly. You can always keep your head down to shelter from the snow, but then you can’t see properly. The only (imperfect) solution I have found is to close your left eye, move your head 45 degrees to your right in the hope that your nose and your eyebrows afford your right eye some shelter from the snow.  There are numerous problems with this approach, the main one being that you have limited depth perception, a serious handicap when on fast moving bike. Secondly, one closed eye and a contorted face can give on coming traffic the impression of a lascivious wink. A fully grown man in lycra winking at passers by in the snow is probably grounds enough to get you on the ‘register’.
I don’t have a big nose, so there is limited shelter to be had when hiding behind it. In short, no matter what you do, when it snows, you can’t really see properly.
It’s all relative though, I guess. The beast that is this March has been magnified by the beauty of 12 months ago. This time last year we were in the middle of a heat wave. I remember marshalling the annual Nightingale APR in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. Although a beautiful March was followed by a wash out until August. I am not sure what is worse.
The Lake APR was held last weekend. This is one of the two races that my club (The Glasgow Nightingale) put on annually. It takes a big effort to put a race on and it involves large numbers of the club members turning out to help. Most of these guys don’t race, so they really are doing something for little return. I managed to get a start in the race. Given that I should have been helping put the race on, I am very grateful for.
An APR (Australian Pursuit Race – no idea where the name comes from) is a handicap race. Other races that I have been involved in are ranked so that you are always in with a category of other riders who are of roughly the same standard. In an APR anyone can enter, however each rider is handicapped, roughly according to ability. The weaker riders in the race get a head start and the strongest riders set off last. As ever with cycling, but perhaps more so in an APR, you are both competing against, and dependent upon those in your group, which gives it an interesting dynamic. If you work together you stand a chance of holding off the better riders and catching those who set off first. If the handicaps are calculated well, then the whole race should come together towards the closing stages.
The conditions for the race were tough. There was a very strong, cold wind blowing. There was snow piled high on the sides of the road. It was barely above freezing but when you added in the wind chill factor it felt nearer -4. The route was 2 laps of a circuit so there were headwinds, tailwinds and cross winds to deal with and as a result the race blew apart very quickly with riders scattered across the course.
I was riding well and feeling strong, we were working fairly well as a bunch, with each rider taking a turn on the front. The pace was high and as a result a number of our group had been shelled out the back. Whilst at the back of the bunch I snatched a look round to see the scratch group (aka ‘the big boys’) off in the distance, approaching fast like the cavalry in a western pursuing the hero outlaws. The tactics of the race change somewhat when it becomes inevitable that you will be caught. Rather than battling to stay away from the bunch you start thinking about conserving some energy, then jumping on the back of the bunch as it comes past.
When our group turned a corner I glanced back again to see the scratch group almost upon us. I turned round to find that the bike in front of me was not where I expected it to be. We touched wheels and the next thing I knew I was lying in a ditch on the side of the road staring at a leaden sky.
Whilst I was contemplating life and the universe the scratch group roared silently past. I didn’t even notice that they had over taken me until I had untangled myself from my bike and looked up the road to see my group scattered across the road in the wake of the cavalry charge.
I quickly checked all appendages to make sure nothing was missing from either the tumble, or the cold. Then jumped back on my bike. Its much harder cycling on your own than in a bunch, so your only hope is a short hard effort to try and get back. If you don’t make it back within a few minutes then it is likely that you’re not going to and your afternoon will probably be over. I managed to hold the group to the same distance away for a time, before they started to pull away.
I gave them up for lost and settled into my own rhythm, hoping that I could perhaps pick up a few stragglers and form a group to help with the long ride home.
Then a group of about 10 riders came up fast behind me. I jumped on their tails and settled in for the ride. Within about 3 miles 10 had become 5 and the pace had started to quicken. It was eye balls out and chew the bars type stuff. These guys had originally been in the scratch group but had been caught cold by an early attack and were themselves trying to get back to the head of the race. They were a class or two (or four) above me and I wasn’t able to contribute much to the chase. My main focus had become holding onto the contents of my stomach. In my mind not throwing up on my new riding pals was contribution enough, although I didn’t feel that this sacrifice was fully appreciated! It was a case of grim survival for me. If my heart hadn’t been concentrating on not exploding through my chest, then she would have been lifted by the sight of my original group just up ahead. Alas I was cooked by then, and was yo-yoing off the back of the chase group. With each ‘yo’ it became more and more difficult to get back to the shelter of a back wheel. When we were within about 20 yards of the bunch ahead the elastic finally snapped. As my new amigos breezed through the larger group, I was left in no mans land, desperately trying to close the gap on my own. Despite turning myself inside out the gap stayed at a stubborn 20 yards. Then I blew completely.  I was about 3 miles from home, but I had nothing left, I limped home on my own. This is the way the race would end, not with a bang but a whimper.
There are positives though. I later found out that the group I was in contained ex pros and Scottish champions. Exulted company. There is no shame being busted by riders that much better than me.
I mainly cycle with a blank mind, simply concentrating on the immediate task at hand. Occasionally thoughts do come other than easter eggs and the scripture. Today I wondered if Bradley Wiggins was the complete cyclist. It wasn’t his multiple track gold medals, or his TdF victory, or his Knighthood that confirmed my decision that he was. No, as I ploughed through Newport on Tay in what felt like a blizzard, I realised that he had the gift of an unnaturally large nose, probably the biggest in the professional peleton. That surely gives him a competitive advantage. Especially if he were to race in the Tour of Narnia.
The clocks go back this weekend, everything is now set for summer to start. Light nights mean less time on the turbo and more in the open air. Cycling can start to be fun again. But then according to TS Eliot, it is April, not March that is the cruellest month. So maybe it will get worse before it gets better.
I’m off to console myself with an Easter egg and await some divine inspiration.
From St Andrews
N
PS A huge thanks to Scott Smith for organising the APR and the purvey afterwards. Great effort Scott. Looking forward to seeing you back on the bike.

If you would like to sponsor me then you can do so here:

No comments:

Post a Comment