Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Sunday 3 March 2013

My Fifteen Minutes


Andy Worhol reckoned that in the future everyone would be famous for 15 minutes. This has always concerned me slightly. I have no wish to be famous, even for 15 minutes. It seems like an awful lot of bother. Especially as I sit here in my paint splattered and ripped jogging bottoms with a sink full of dirty dishes. If I was famous and the paparazzi were camped outside my flat the pictures wouldn’t be particularly flattering. I don’t have any curtains, you see. If I became famous I’d need to go out and buy curtains. Nothing fills me with greater dread than the prospect of having to go and buy curtains. So if you don’t mind I’ll leave the fame game to those who are well disposed in the curtain department. Or at least postpone it until I get some curtains.
No, it’s not me that I am concerned about when I think about Worhols 15 minutes. It was those who actually wanted to become famous. Before I had developed my aversion to curtain purchasing I had thought fame might be a bit of a wheeze.
Although I grew up in a small town, it was large enough to have a newspaper, but not large enough for anything interesting or newsworthy ever to happen. Thus, the paper was filled with mundane stories about lost cats and charity tombolas. If anything happened in St Andrews, and I mean anything, it would appear in the St Andrews Citizen. When I was a kid, like every other kid in the town, I often graced its pages – for nothing more noteworthy than playing for the St Andrews Colts U11’s, playing for the School Rugby and Hockey teams and once gaining a ‘highly commended’ rating in the annual Junior Hortus Daffodil growing competition (I have only recently discovered that everyone who entered gained a ‘highly commended’ rating, which has somewhat devalued that particular achievement).  However, perhaps the zenith of my press appearances was when I won a competition to design a poster for a new flavour of ice cream. The prize was a knickerbocker glory served at the Old Course Hotel and I got my picture in the paper. Alas, I was both a gauche child and a younger sibling which meant that the picture in the paper was less than flattering. Me, in hand me down flared trousers and a jumper that could have doubled as a sail. I still remember searing playground critique of my sartorial choices the next day.
‘Ho! Kemp! I saw you in the paper. Where’d you get those trousers? Fine Flares?’
Nah – fame wasn’t for me. At least not whilst my brothers taste in clothing was still so rotten. But if Warhol was right you might not have a choice. So I was quite happy getting my name in the paper every so often in the hope that it would use up my 15 minutes. However it seems like I didn’t quite use up all of my allotted time. The media heavyweights of both the St Andrews Citizen and the Kirkintilloch Herald have picked up my story and have run a piece on my challenge.





I’m off to Remnant Kings – I hear they have a sale on.
From Glasgow,
N

If you would like to sponsor me, then you can do so here http://www.bmycharity.com/nkemp

No comments:

Post a Comment