Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Saturday 22 June 2013

Stage 1: All the Presidents Men*


It was famously said of Gerald Ford that he couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time. I have always had some sympathy with Gerald, as multi tasking is not something that I have ever been particularly good at. I think I could manage to walk and chew gum, but then I am pretty sure Gerald Ford could too. But were I ever to be in the public eye, then I am sure that charge would be levelled at me, and we all know what happened to Gerald Ford (no? Neither do I. and that’s precisely my point).
Or maybe it was Ronald Reagan, who had trouble simultaneously masticating and moving. I’d check, but I cant get onto the interweb so I am having to fly by the seat of my pants here. Anyhow, it doesn’t really matter, its not important to the story, so you I'll let you choose your favourite.
It must have been Ford as I think Reagan was the ‘Great Communicator’, and I don’t usually know more than one thing about any president. But then it might have been Gerald Ford, who was a communication dab hand. Dam you internet for not being available. Anyhow, it doesn’t really matter, its not important to the story, so you I'll let you… etc
I am not one to mettre le vent dans mes trombone, as I believe they say in France. However, I have a natural gift for languages. Communicational abilities are absolute necessitudes in today’s society and I have them in shovels. Regan might well have been the great communicator, but in how many languages, huh? 
Today it finally arrived, after months of waiting we set off south at 0730 on our own Tour de France. The start of things like this are always wonderful. The much anticipated has finally arrived and to say that I was excited this morning was an understatement. So much to look forward to, it was great to finally get tore in.
A relatively easy stage this. It was long at 200 odd km’s but it was mainly flat and despite an initial head wind we turned north after 40ks or so and were blown home by a stiff breeze. It was hot, but not overly so. Overall a wonderful day to be on the bike.

After we had finished the days stage and I had run myself under a shower, I nipped into downtown Bastia to try and secure myself a quick bite to eat to tide me over until dinner. I found myself a wee snack shop and strolled in. Being a polyglot of rare aptitude I was able to engage the proprietor in what appeared to be some humourous small talk. Homour, was not my objective, however. I had merely intended to ask how he was, but, in Corsica this appears to be the cause of deep mirth. I have found that whilst travelling it is important to respect other cultures, so who am I to decide what is funny and what is not?
I had a craving for a panini so ordered the good man to rustle me up one ‘toot sweet’. I did wonder why he was cutting up bananas and mixing them with nutella, but, these Frenchies take their chuck seriously and who am I to question their methods?
I understand that Corsica is a bilingual area of France and it appears that this particular chap was a rusty when it came to his French and I ended up with a chocolate and banana crepe. See these French? Their French is rubbish. 
I must confess that the crepe was nothing short of magnificent and precisely what I required, even if I was not aware of this fact at the time.
Unfortunately my sartorial choice had let me down this evening – 7hours in the Mediterranean sun does strange things to a mans mind. Rather than my usual stout brogue, I opted a rather natty pair of flip flops. I have never been a fan of the 'flop. They are fine if you intend not to walk, but are wholly unsuitable for a scouting mission to down town Bastia where one of the few requirements is to walk. Alas whilst I was eating my crepe, my attention was diverted from walking to savouring and the front of my flip flop got caught on a raised paving stone sending me flying headlong and narrowly missing a lamp post.
So perhaps I’m no Ronald Regan, but a definite Gerald Ford. Or maybe the other way round…
Real TdF
This stage is one for the sprinters. Between Porto Vecchio and Bastia there are no obstacles to thin the field. Its likely to come down to a mass cavalry charge at the end. Expect crashes as 200 fresh riders all try and get to the front to avoid… Crashes. If his Quickstep Team can control the race and keep Cavendish out of trouble then this he is a stick on. Cav to be in yellow on stage 2.
Ramorra
A tougher day in the saddle. Shorter at 156km but bumpier too. The first 95k’s are pretty much uphill as we cut right across the island and climb the wonderfully named Col de Vizzavona. This is our first chance to get our teeth into some climbing with two Cat 3 Climbs and 2 Cat 2 climbs. Its all down hill from Vizzavona to Ajaccio. Should be another great day of cycling.
Looks like Cavs stay in yellow will be a short one. Get Adobe Flash player
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

From Bastia,
n

No comments:

Post a Comment