Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Friday 28 June 2013

Stage 7: Bonjour Mr Mistral, we have been expecting you. Now bugger off.


Today was a day that was all about tomorrow. That’s not to decry the stage today, or underestimate its difficulty. It’s just that tomorrow is going to be a belter.
First today… The mistral blew and blew hard. Right in our faces for 80 odd miles. That made a tough stage even harder. The accumulated climb was the highest we have had to date, and this was definitely the hardest stage we have had, until tomorrow. Everything is in reference to tomorrow.
Today didn’t go quite to plan. Big Phil punctured and he and I were left on our own to deal with the Mistral. It was not a day to be isolated, but we had little choice, and I couldn’t have found a better guy to work with for nearly 40ks to get back to the bunch.
Through circumstance and bad planning I spent a lot of today either on the front or on my own, which was unfortunate. I have kept a lid on my efforts to date, however, I allowed myself a little blow out on a couple of later climbs. My legs felt great, I just hope I didn’t over do it.
The biggest concern is strange noises coming from my bottom bracket. The initial prognosis was not good, the bike is currently in the sick bay and I’m praying that the mechanics can make it good.
Tomorrow sees us in the Pyrenees. I have done a couple of the climbs before and was broken by the first. I cant wait to get up and at it.
On the subject of getting up, breakfast is at 0545 tomorrow, so it’s a 5am alarm call. Sorry it’s a short one, but I gotta get some sleep.
From Albi

N





No comments:

Post a Comment