Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Saturday 29 June 2013

Stage 8: As The Tour Bears its Teeth, Tiredness Bites.


Yesterday was a day all about tomorrow, which is today and will soon be yesterday. Today is followed by tomorrow which part of today should have been about, if you follow. I have to confess that it wasn’t. Which might be an issue when tomorrow comes. That makes sense to me, but I’m tired and weary and might not make sense to you.
Today was a tough day. Every day now is tougher than the last. That might be because the stages are progressively longer and higher and steeper. Or it be in part due to increasing fatigue, the cumulative effect of 8 hard days on the bike. Part of it too, might be lack of sleep. We are only getting around 6 hours a night and precious little time to relax in between. That means recovery times are affected and that means more tiredness. If you forgive the pun, it’s a vicious cycle. Legs are beginning to throb. Arses are beginning to chafe, hands hurt from gripping the bars, feet hurt from pushing the pedals, skin hurts from too much sun, eyes are heavy from lack of sleep. But I say this not for sympathy. God no. I am having the time of my life. Every day is special and brings a new challenge.
Today wasn’t a great day (it was still fantastic, but it had its challenges). It started off well, with a good group ticking off the miles nicely. Then at the bottom of the climb things started to go a little awry. A puncture and a pump that didn’t work = frustration. The puncture took longer than it should have to fix. Big Phil took a bullet and stayed with me to help me fix the puncture and pace me back to the main group. He didn’t need to, but he did, and for that I am hugely grateful.
Then Phil and I missed a turn on the climb and ended up doing 6k of fruitless climbing, and blowing our chance of getting back to the group. Then my gears started to fail, meaning I had to get off and manually shift my gear into the wee ring, and god did I need the wee ring. Then I started to bonk half way up the climb and had to pull the emergency rip chord and take a gel.
The Port de Pailheres and I have an unhappy history. A few years ago I did the same climb and near passed out at the top. I managed the climb better this time, but not as well as I really wanted. She didn’t beat me today, but it was a score draw at best. I am going to have to go back…
Today will soon be yesterday and tomorrow is fast hoving into view and it’s a really tough stage. Five categorised climbs, four Cat 1s and a Cat2. That means serious hills. I might regret not thinking about it until now.
It’s late, well it’s late in my little bubble, and I am dog tired. I have breakfast at 0530 and need to get all my stuff together before that. Sorry this entry was so brief. There is so much I want to say and so many stories I have to tell. But they will have to wait. Right now, more than anything I need my precious 6 and a half hours sleep. I’m sure you will understand.
From Ax Les Therme,
N



No comments:

Post a Comment