Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Sunday 23 June 2013

Stage 2: El Gringo




Cycling is a simple sport. You pedal as fast as you can over a set distance and the person who finishes first wins. If it’s hilly, the man who is most powerful with respect to his weight will win. If its flat them man who is most power will win. Power and weight are therefore important. Be as powerful as you can be and as light as you can be. Simple.


I love my bike. I love being on my bike. I love being on my bike cycling with pals and shooting the breeze to let the miles wash by. I love being on my bike on my own, alone with my own thoughts with nothing but the soothing noise of chain on cog for company. I love going slow on my bike taking in the scenery. I love going hard on my bike so that you taste blood in your saliva and you see blue spots infront of your eyes. I just love being on my bike.


That I love cycling, should come as no surprise given my current endeavour, I guess. However, ask me any technical detail about cycling and I haven’t a clue nor an interest.


There has been much talk amongst the my fellow riders over the last couple of days about the finer points of mechanical set up. I am afraid that when the conversation starts to turn to tubs vs clinchers, compact vs standard or god forbid, gear ratios, my eyes glaze over, I stop listening and start to think about chocolate. I have come to the conclusion, therefore, that boring bike chat is not only bad for your mental health, but it’s not great for your cycling either.



Today was a great, great day on the bike. A beautiful sunny day wall to wall blue sky and some of the views to die for. The hills were long, but not too steep as to make your progress painful. I was still able to set a steady pace and spin the legs. A much more enjoyable day than yesterday. I continue to take things easy, but am still managing to get home in plenty of time to relax before dinner. My legs feel good and I am happy with how things are going. Things will undoubtedly get tougher, but right now, things are tickety boo.
Oh, and if you are interested in the technical details. I cycled up the hills on the smallest ring at the front and the biggest ring at the back. When I was going down I was in the big ring at the front and the wee ring at the back. Occasionally I did vary my gear selection, but generally followed the same formula. I have had a modicum of success with it so I think I will continue. Number of teeth? Haven’t a notion.

Real TdF
The hills today were OK, not hugely long or steep. I don’t think they will cause any great shakeup in the field. Although the last few kms are downhill after the initial steep declines it levels out a bit so a well organised train should bring any breaks back. There is a sting in the tail up the Cote du Salario, which I think will rule out Cavendish, even assuming he can hold on through the mountains. This stage will suit a Sagan or perhaps even Gilbert. I think Cav could hold onto yellow though.

Ramorra
‘Not one meter of flat’ according to the race director. Not particularly long at 145km, however it is bumpy. Depending on the wind direction, this could be the hardest stage in Corsica.
Apparently the road is stunningly beautiful, so it might be a day to take the camera.
Tomorrow night sees us getting the overnight ferry across to the mainland for the Time Trial in Nice.

From Ajaccio,


n


 Get Adobe Flash player
Photo Gallery by QuickGallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment