Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Monday 1 July 2013

Stage 9: A Tale of Two Cyclists.


When Peggy came off her bike, she hit her head quite hard. She was shook up, but there was no permanent damage other than a mild concussion. Her helmet took the brunt of the impact. Thank god for helmets and thank god she was wearing hers.
A few other riders were following and were on the scene pretty soon after the crash. One of them was Dr Sarah.
‘Whats your name?’
Peggy wasn’t sure.
‘What day is it?’
Peggy didn’t know.
‘Where are you?’
Peggy didn’t know that either.
On hearing this one of the other riders piped up.
‘Sarah, I know my name. But I’m not sure what day it is, and I haven’t a clue where I am but I’m certain I’m not concussed’. Such is life at the minute. We live in our own wee world. We call it 'The Bubble'.
The most important 6 inches in sport is the 6 inches between your ears. I am not sure who said that. But it’s true. The fact that god chose to bless me with rather large ears, means that it’s the most important 12 inches in sport, However, I digress.
You see, it's expectation that is the problem. If we did not have expectation we would never have disappointment or failure. In order to be disappointed we must first expect something. When our expectations are met or exceeded we are happy. Its only if our expectations are not met then we are disappointed. Under promise and over deliver, is the key, I guess.
There have been a couple of stages that I have expected to be flat and they have been surprisingly hilly, or we have had an unexpected head wind. This has made them harder, sure, but disproportionately so. They have still been physically easier than the other stages, however they seemed much harder.
I expected yesterday to be hard. It was on the back of a very tough day and we had a lot of climbing to do. 5 Catergorised climbs, 4 of them Cat1. Only one small bit of flat in the whole stage the rest was either climbing or descending. It would be, by some distance, the highest accumulated altitude of the tour so far. It was going to be a day just to get through. A day to endure, not to enjoy.
But this tour keeps confounding expectations. The last day on Corsica was the best day I have had on a bike. But yesterday surpassed even that. Perhaps part of that was due to my low levels of expectation.
However, the Pyrenees were in all their glory. They have had an abnormally cold spring here and temperatures have been 10 degrees down on the expected. As a result the mountains are still dressed in their winter finery. Snow sits on the peaks and the grass in the valley floors is a verdant green. The sky yesterday was deep blue and what little cloud there was sat thinly below the tips of the mountains. Adding an ethereal quality to the vistas. Recent rain in the area has meant that the air was clear and visibility unrivalled. The roads were virtually traffic free and often the only noise you could hear was the far off clank of cow bell from the cattle grazing high above, or far below.
The climbs, Portet D’Aspet, Col De Mente, Perysourde, Val Louron Azet and the Hourquete were tough, but did not seem to grind like the previous days. When we got, panting, to the tops, our breath was taken away again by the views. It was a glorious day to be on a bike up amongst the gods.
Yesterday was a day when all the long, long hours of training were made worthwhile. The sacrifices of putting your social life on hold for months had started to pay back. The cycling in the sleet and the snow and the rain. The hours spent churning the pedals on the turbo. When I got off the bike, I high fived and hugged the guys I had been riding with. It was a day of collective suffering at the end of 9 hard days. And we had got through it together. The first chapter had been completed, and that achievement deserved to be celebrated. When we finished yesterday, Paris seemed a little bit closer than it had the night before.
But this was a tale of two cyclists. It was the best of times, but yet at the same time, it was the worst of times.
This 9 day stretch that has seen us travel from the southern most tip of Corsica, almost unbroken to the Border of Spain. There are some tired limbs amongst the group. I have written previously that the challenge is not just about turning the pedals on your bike. Unavoidably we have some late finishes and very early starts. Sleep is at a premium. I found myself almost dosing off yesterday whilst on the bike. It was warm, we had a smooth, flat road and I was following a ‘safe wheel’.
With tiredness, comes a reduction in coordination and lapses in concentration. Some of the descents yesterday were dangerous, tight, narrow roads, coupled with loose road surfaces and precipitous gradients. They have famously proved fatal for professional riders in the past, never mind rank amatuers who are tired in mind and in limb. That there were a couple of spills, was perhaps to be expected. Big Donald suffered a front wheel puncture whilst descending at speed and came off. Resulting in a nasty case of road rash, bruised ribs and dented pride, thankfully they are the only ill effects. Steve, a demon descender, hit a patch of gravel and slid across the tarmac, and then there was Peggy. All riders are OK and will be ready to fight the good fight tomorrow.
Chen was within a few miles of home. He had completed the official stage, dragging his ass up all those mountain passes in the heat. He was just riding the long downhill back to the hotel. The work for the day was done. Then a car pulled out infront of him he swerved to avoid it and ended up in a ditch. He has broken his collar bone and will not be able to ride the rest of the tour.
Riding the tour is a challenge and an ambition that I have had for many years. I have effectively been training for it for years. I have invested a huge amount of time and money into this venture. If I fail because I am not fit enough then I will be disappointed, but at least I have tried my best and failed. To have it snatched away from me because the wreckless driving or riding of someone else would be too much to take. I can only imagine how Chen feels and I feel absolutely gutted for him.
You see, I have trained so hard that I expect to be in Paris on Bastille day, if I don’t fulfil those expectations then ‘disappointed’ wont cover it.
From somewhere on the road north,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment