Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Monday 1 July 2013

Rest Day: Into the Badgers Set


Today is a rest day. We started the day in Tarbes in the South West of the country in the Pyrenees on the Spanish border. We will sleep tonight up in Brittany, On the North coast. Home to Bernard Hinault, the last great French rider. The journey has involved an 8 hour bus ride. Given the transfer this has meant that the rest day has not been as restful as perhaps we would have liked. Mind you, I guess it’s preferable to do it in a bus, rather than on the bike. I have a stack of laundry to do when I arrive. I assume that most of the group will be thinking similar. So, by the time I get round to resting then it might well be time to go to bed.
When I was preparing for the tour one piece of advice I was given was always to be thinking three days in ahead and riding with them in mind. This rest day has been the focus of much of my attention for the last few days. ‘Get through today and your rest day is one day closer’ has been a constant maxim. And here it is. I have survived to the rest day, but I’ve done more than survive. I feel strong, I have been riding well within myself and my legs feel strong.  I have had the confidence and discipline to let other riders go away from me if they are riding harder than is in my plan. That has been more difficult than it sounds, sometimes it’s hard to ride your own race. I have had to check in my ego, I keep having to remind myself that the objective here is Paris, not to chase an ephemeral Strava King of the Mountain. Perhaps I could do both, but the risk of blowing myself up is not worth the scant reward. Paris is the gold at the end of the rainbow and that is where my focus is, all else is just noise.
As each day passes my confidence increases. If anything I think I might have been riding too gently. However, the plan has worked up until now and I don’t see the need to change. I will have to work hard to temper my natural competitive urge but If I can get to the next rest day feeling as strong as I do today, then I will be ready to take on the Alps. If I can give my body proper opportunity to recover, who knows, perhaps I can be even stronger than I was in Corsica.
And so the first 9 Stages have been completed. The first chapter is done. The next section, will be slightly easier than the first, I think. We have a rest day today and a flat, although, long section tomorrow. Then a time trial. I am viewing these days as a chance to rest and recuperate. I will try and ride tomorrows stage in a group (L’Autobus Ecosse) and take it slow, not getting much above a recovery effort. The time trial too, will be nothing more than a recover ride for me. Some of the group will try and race it. I would dearly love to have a blast and rip up the course, but I can ride a time trial anytime, so I will keep a lid on it. We then have 4, mainly flat, long stages that take us right through the heart of France. Which will finish in a crescendo atop the Mont Ventoux. Again the watch words will be conserve, conserve, conserve so that I arrive in Bedoin as fresh as possible and ready to renew an old acquaintance. I am licking my lips in anticipation already.
From Brittany,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment