Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Wednesday 10 July 2013

Stage 17: Searching for my mojo


Italy is slowly disappearing under France. I like Italy (as I have already mentioned in previous posts), and under normal circumstances I would see this as a problem. The Scottish diet might have been better off without the Italian influence, however life as a whole would be disproportionately poorer. This is nothing to be particularly alarmed about, however, the timescales we are talking about are on the geological scale. Italy is not going anywhere, well, not quickly anyway.
This is, infact, something about which we should all rejoice. You see, as Italy meanders under France it is gradually, although determinedly creating the Alpes. It’s all to do with plate tectonics, you see. Basically, as the two continental plates collide earth buckles and the Alpes are pushed ever skyward.
I had never been to the Alpes until today. We took a short bus ride to Embrun for the second individual time trial of this years Tour. And what a belter it is. From the moment the shoveraffer shoves you aff, you are out the saddle climbing, high above Lac Serre-Poncon. The view from the start is stunning, but as you push ever skyward the view just gets better. If being breathless from the exertion of the climb wasn’t enough, the view steals any semblance of breath you might have had left. The colour of the lake is the deepest green, like someone had crushed a million emeralds. Screeching precipitously skyward are the Alpes soaring through the clouds and scraping a sky of the deepest blue.





Then you plunge downward through a fast, sinuous, exhilarating and frightening descent. Tight hairpins and shear drops on either side of the road.
No sooner have you hit the bottom of the climb than you are bounced skyward once again, up another steeper and longer climb through wild flower pastures, before summiting with another vista over the Lac. Then there is a shallow, fast descent down into Chorges.
A simply majestic way to spend a couple of hours on the bike. It's not a normal time trial, given the amount of climbing, infact there is scarcely any flat on the whole track. This is one for the grimpeurs rather than the roulers. I doubt, very much whether Tony Martin will complete a double time trial stage win in this years tour. Mark Wednesday 17th July in your diary, however. This stage is going to be incredibly exciting. It was a stunning course to ride, but not one that I would like to race. The downhill’s are technical and there are likely to be a few misjudged corners. I would not like to defend a lead on this course, its not one to be ridden conservatively. Having said that I wouldn’t like to have to chase too hard either as any risks that don't come off could be costly, and may not just be counted in lost seconds. Its going to make for fantastic racing.
I loved the stage today. I went hard on both the climbs in an attempt to wake my legs from their slumber, tomorrow will tell whether this has worked, or has made the situation worse. Fingers crossed that I am feeling strong tomorrow as we head into the Alpes proper. The next three days and the next two in particular are possibly the toughest finish to the Tour in many years. Tomorrow sees us climb Alpe d’Huez twice in a day. Then Friday. Friday is a stage to bust balls and break hearts. I am going to need all the form that I can muster. I simply cannot wait to get on my bike tomorrow and stamp on the pedals. I love the hills and with the Alpe, the Glandon and the Madalaine all on the menu it’s going to be some feast.
The pros cycled the first TT to Mont St Michel today. Their times were around 34 minutes ish averaging an eye watering 54kph. I did the course in just over an hour. I didn’t go full gas, but I was certainly pushing hard. Admittedly our weather conditions were not particularly clement, but it fills me with awe what the pros can do. I suspect Chris Froome et al will not bother stopping to take pictures whilst doing this mountain TT. However, I suspect again they will half my time.
Well, I guess compared to Italy, at least, I was moving pretty damn quick.
From Gap,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment