Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Saturday 6 July 2013

Stage 14: I'm off to Slay a Giant


I am sitting outside my hotel room, which backs onto a grassy court. The sun has just set, the sky still has an azure hue, but will turn to black very soon and the stars will start to appear. It is warm and the insects are beginning to bite. My bag is packed, my kit is laid out and I am ready to jump out of bed the second my alarm clock goes at 0500.
Tomorrow is the longest stage of the whole tour. 242kms, which in itself hold no fears, but at the end of the day, after our legs have been tenderised and boiled in the all day Provencial sun, we will head up The Ventoux.
This mountain has gained mythical status. Tom Simpson (after whom this blog takes its name), died on its slopes, the great Eddie Merckx needed oxygen at the summit and countless others have floundered on its steep slopes.
Before the route had been announced, I had hoped that the Giant of Provence would feature on the itinerary. It does, and I cant wait to get started.
It's late and I have an early start. Wish me bon chance and bon courage. Its gonna be stinking hot tomorrow – I might need all the courage I can get.
From Lyon,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment