Charity Link

You can sponsor me here...William Wates Memorial Trust

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Stage 11: Cycling with John


I can never make up my mind whether John Knox was a hero or a villain in Scotland’s story. I guess it depends on through which prism you view the past. There is no doubting his influence though, and it still runs deep in Scottish culture and the Scottish psyche for good and bad.
Knox’s was an interesting life, even before he took up with the fire and brimstone. He spent time as a French galley slave. I remember not what transgression he performed to merit that punishment. But there is little doubt that it would have been a hellish existence. I don’t know in what regard he held the French after his sojourn in their navy, but I think it is a safe assumption that it was not high.
Today was time trial day.  The Contre la Montre, the Race of Truth, the Chrono, the Test.


A route that took us from Avranche to Mont St Michel. ‘Only’ a short 35km, but time trials are as difficult as you make them. 35km in a time trial can seem like a long, long way. The problem, or I guess the beauty of Time Trials is that there are no team mates to draft, no one to pull you up a hill, no one to help pace you, no one to race against. It is just you, alone with your pain, against the clock.
If you are going to do well in a TT then you are going to have to suffer, the guy who wins is the guy who is willing to suffer the most. There is one given in a TT, it’s really going to hurt. It has often srtuck me that this is the most Calvanistic of endeavours.
Of course, we are not racing so we don’t need to suffer more than is absolutely necessary. We could take all day to do the 35km if we wanted. There is no rush – other than the fact that no traffic is allowed on the causeway that leads up to the Mont. Sarah, our tireless and indefatigable tour leader is a master at getting round piffling little obstructions such as the law and had hatched a plan to allow us to cycle along the causeway – because that is what the pros will do. It was a simple plan, as all the best plans are. It involved us starting the TT early enough that we would get to the causeway before the Gendarmerie were out their beds, and, god willing the last of our riders would be across the causeway before the alarm was raised. I am not sure how Sarah elicited the intelligence as to what time the French PC Murdoch gets out of his bed. In this case it is perhaps best that I don’t ask…
My plan had been to ride the TT gently, at ‘recovery pace’. Not to stress the body to continue to take everything easy and gently. The weather this morning was foul. Driving rain and strong winds. The first inclement weather that we have had on the tour so far. A slow cycle did not seem very appealing and when I turned the pedals this morning, my legs felt great. I decided to allow myself 10km of hard cycling. But when I hit 10k I wanted to keep going, so I said to myself I would ease off after 20k. But I still felt great at 20k. So I decided to just keep going hard. If you would allow me the literary latitude to mix my metaphors, I didn’t go full gas, and I didn’t climb completely inside my pain cave, but I certainly brushed my teeth with the pain toothbrush. And, it felt great. To feel the snotters stream down my face, to taste the blood in my saliva, and feel the lactic burn in my thighs. Strange as it may seem but, it felt fantastic.
And it was then that I was reminded of John Knox and I wondered what he would have made of it all. I am sure that he would probably approve of the time trial, which would appeal to his edict of hard work and no joy. Although I doubt he would have approved of the location, nor of my sartorial choice. Bright yellow shoes and polka dot socks, it would all have been a bit brash for him, I fear. Surely if he had been alive today, he would be turning in his grave.
Tomorrow sees us start our long traverse down, through the centre of France. We travel from Fougeres to Tours. Some 218km. The profile looks to be pan flat, but regardless of this it is likely to be a long day in the saddle. Hopefully the weather will be much drier and warmer than today and with any luck we will get the fair wind that has so far eluded us on this tour. It will be a day for getting into a group and sharing the load, as well as some banter and bonhomie, to make the miles tick along. Luckily I know just the group of coves that can offer both. I’m looking forward to a long day on the bike.
From Fougeres,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment